My Genealogy Hound

Below is a family biography included in The History of Jefferson County, Missouri published by Goodspeed Publishing Company in 1888.  These biographies are valuable for genealogy research in discovering missing ancestors or filling in the details of a family tree. Family biographies often include far more information than can be found in a census record or obituary.  Details will vary with each biography but will often include the date and place of birth, parent names including mothers' maiden name, name of wife including maiden name, her parents' names, name of children (including spouses if married), former places of residence, occupation details, military service, church and social organization affiliations, and more.  There are often ancestry details included that cannot be found in any other type of genealogical record.

* * * *

Hermann Haas, coal contractor for the Crystal City Plate Glass Company, at Crystal City, is a native of Prussia, born in 1832, and received a good common-school education. He was engaged in merchandising for four years, and in 1851 came to the United States, and from 1853 to 1857 was contractor for furnishing rock for St. Louis by river. In 1852 he was clerk on the steamer “Warrior,” on the Mississippi River, where he had the misfortune to lose his eye by the explosion of the boat. One year later he purchased the “Clermont,” a tow-boat, and in 1855 purchased one-half interest in the steamer “Burnette.” From 1853 to 1876 he was engaged in business with a Mr. Schreiber, the firm title being Haas & Schreiber. He was married in 1855 to Miss Anna M. Neun. From 1857 to 1862 Mr. Haas was at Alton, Ill., coal mining and rock quarrying, and erected the levee at East St. Louis. He was also, for six months during the war, deputy collector of customs at Alton. In 1863 he returned to St. Louis, and was rock contractor until 1876, building a large portion of foundation for the levee in St. Louis. From 1876 to 1881 he was engaged in furnishing rock for the Government works from the quarries at St. Louis, giving employment to 150 men. In 1881 he came to Crystal City, and for five years operated a hotel in connection with his other work. He was owner and ran the towboat “Dictator,” from 1868 to 1872.

* * * *

This family biography is one of 224 biographies included in The History of Jefferson County, Missouri published in 1888.  For the complete description, click here: Jefferson County, Missouri History, Genealogy, and Maps

To view additional Jefferson County, Missouri family biographies, click here

Use the links at the top right of this page to search or browse thousands of other family biographies.