My Genealogy Hound

Below is a family biography included in the Biographical Annals of Montgomery County, Pennsylvania published in 1904 by T. S. Benham & Company and The Lewis Publishing Company; Elwood Roberts, Editor.  These biographies are valuable for genealogy research in discovering missing ancestors or filling in the details of a family tree. Family biographies often include far more information than can be found in a census record or obituary.  Details will vary with each biography but will often include the date and place of birth, parent names including mothers' maiden name, name of wife including maiden name, her parents' names, name of children (including spouses if married), former places of residence, occupation details, military service, church and social organization affiliations, and more.  There are often ancestry details included that cannot be found in any other type of genealogical record.

* * * *

JAMES S. CAMERON. Among those employed in the service of the Philadelphia & Reading Railway Company, residing in Bridgeport, and are thus engaged in transporting the products of our country from point to point, James S. Cameron stands deservedly high. He was born in Port Richmond, Philadelphia county, October 18, 1864, and is therefore a comparatively young man. In 1868 his father removed to King-of-Prussia, where James attended the public schools of the vicinity until he was thirteen years of age. He then obtained employment with Howard J. Matthias, on his farm at King-of-Prussia, remaining there several years. He next engaged with Daniel O. Hitner at his marble quarry at Hendersons Station: remaining in that employ four years, working at whatever was to be done.

In 1886 Mr. Cameron became a brakeman on the Pennsylvania & Schuylkill Valley Railroad, holding that position one year and ten months, after which he went to Bridgeport, and in October, 1888, engaged in the occupation of brake-man on the Reading Railway, being the first man employed by Agent John H. Gehret when he assumed the position he now holds and which he has ably filled for many years. After two years Mr. Cameron was promoted to conductor on shifting work in Bridgeport, remaining in this capacity six years, during which time he was associated with Harman Custer as engineer on the same train. His promotion to fireman followed in 1896, and he continued as such until 1899, when he was given an engine in the Bridgeport yard, holding it ever since.

Mr. Cameron has been a member several years of the Bridgeport Presbyterian church, of which his wife is also a member. He is a Republican in politics but has time only to vote.

Richard Cameron (father) was born near Burngranna, County Donegal, Ireland, in May, 1838. When he was fifteen years of age he left his native land and the home in which his ancestors had lived for several generations and went to Scotland, where he resided three years, learning and working at the painter’s trade. In 1856 he took passage on a sailing vessel and came to America, landing in New York, and at once came to Montgomery county, Pennsylvania.

John Cameron (grandfather) and his wife and daughter came to New York at the same time as Richard Cameron, and joined sons and daughters who had previously come to this state, the men finding employment in the Henderson marble quarries in Upper Merion township. The son Richard also obtained work in the quarry, and has followed this business ever since, competing successfully with many younger men. He has been a Presbyterian nearly all his life and now belongs to the Bridgeport church of that denomination. In politics Richard Cameron, like most Protestant Irishmen, is a Republican.

In November, 1862, Richard Cameron married Miss Christine, daughter of James and Mary (McDonald) Smith. Mrs. Cameron was born in Burnfoot, County Donegal, Ireland, and came alone to the United States at the age of eighteen years, reaching Philadelphia after a voyage of six weeks and three days. Several years afterward her parents and the other children followed her, going to Philadelphia and making Montgomery county their home.

The children of Mr. and Mrs. Richard Cameron are as follows: Joseph (deceased) was born September 18, 1863. James S. is the subject of this sketch. John (deceased) was born June 26, 1866, Jane, born February 8, 1868, married David McCleery. Their children are Christiana S., Mary M. and twins, Russel and Pauline. Richard, born January 27, 1870, married Annie Kirkpatrick and they have two children, John K. and Helen. Catharine married William J. Kutz and they have one child, Mabel C. William S. (deceased) was born December 16, 1874. Mary M., born April 8, 1876, completes the family.

On September 30, 1889, James S. Cameron married Miss Ella M., daughter of Jonathan E. and Ellen (Noss) Rogers. She was born May 24, 1871. Their union has been blessed with the following children: James S., Jr., born July 12, 1891; Richard F., born August 22, 1893; Jonathan R., born June 23, 1897; Lillie M., born September 13, 1900; and Christine S., born June 18, 1903.

Jonathan E. Rogers (father of Mrs. Cameron) was born in Bridge Valley, Bucks county, Pennsylvania, May 3, 1842. In 1857 his father’s family went to Conshohocken, and in the fall of 1858 he followed. The next spring he apprenticed himself to Hipple & Jones to learn the carpenter trade. Before the end of his apprenticeship the Rebellion was begun and on September 9, 1861, he enlisted in Company C, Eighth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, to serve three years. During his term of service he was engaged with his regiment in the following actions: Cedar Mountain, Rappahannock, Gainesville and the second battle of Bull Run. In the last named he received a gunshot wound in the face, and was taken prisoner, but was paroled on the field. He was sent to Philadelphia and was placed in a private hospital, but was at home most of the time on passes until his wound healed. He rejoined his regiment in time to participate in the battle of Chancellorsville, and well remembers it, as it was fought on the anniversary of his birth. Previous to the battle he was in the rear of Fredericksburg, in May, 1863. On June 12, of the same year, his regiment broke camp and made a forced march of twenty miles. On June 14th, they resumed their march and on the 17th reached Guilford Station, where they rested until the 19th,when they had another hard march of fourteen miles through heavy rain, reaching Goose Creek at midnight, without tents or shelter of any kind. They stayed there until June 25th and then crossed the Potomac at Edwards’ Ferry, and halted at Barnesville. The next day they crossed the Monocacy and reached Middletown, where they halted for the night. On June 26th they began the march to Emmetsburg, which place they reached June 29th. On the following day the march was resumed, Marsh Creek being reached, and there they were sent out on picket duty. On July 1, they reached Gettysburg, and participated in the first day’s battle. The regiment made a charge, capturing many prisoners and three stands of colors. That night they were driven back to Cemetery Hill, where they lay on their arms until July 2d. With his regiment Mr. Rogers was in all the three days’ fight, escaping without a scratch although he had several narrow escapes. After the battle of Gettysburg he took part with his regiment in the following actions: Mine Run, Spottsylvania (three days), North Anna, Bethel Church, Tolopotomy (two days), Cold Harbor, White Oak Swamp, before Petersburg (two days) Norfolk Railroad, Weldon Railroad, Jerusalem Plank Road, Southside Railroad (December 8-11, 1864), Hatcher’s Run, Quaker Road, Gravelly Run, Five Forks and Appomattox Court House.

Mr. Rogers was mustered out with his regiment June 30, 1865. He had re-enlisted January 25, 1864, at Culpeper, Virginia, in same company and regiment, for three years or during the war. In October, 1864, he was promoted to corporal; May I, 1865, to sergeant; June 13, 1865, to first sergeant; and to second lieutenant June 14, 1865, but was not mustered in as such.

While home on veteran furlough Mr. Rogers married, February 27, 1864, Mary Ellen, daughter of George Noss. She was born July 27, 1845. They had three children: Anna Matilda, born August 21, 1866, married Thomas R. Smith, of Conshohocken, and their children are Anna and Ellen. Martha A., born December 14, 1869, married John Huzzard and their children are Bertha and Ella. Ella M., born May 24, 1871, is the wife of James S. Cameron.

After the war Mr. Rogers worked at his trade until 1867, when he entered the employ of Alan Wood & Company, Conshohocken, remaining with them thirteen years. He has since been employed by the J. Wood Brothers’ Company and is one of their most trusted workmen.

In politics Mr. Rogers is a Republican but has never sought or held office. He is a member of George Smith Post, G. A. R., of Conshohocken. His father was Andrew E. Rogers, and his mother, Margaret Kelly. The children of Andrew and Margaret Rogers are: Jonathan E.; William K.; George M. (deceased), who served in the same company, confined in Libby Prison from August 19, 1864, and was drowned while on his way from Annapolis to City Point, to join his regiment; Margaret Charlotte and Martha, both deceased.

Andrew E. Rogers was in the Forth-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteer Militia. He enlisted June 1, 1863, and was mustered out August 13, the same year.

William K., brother of Jonathan E. also served in the Rebellion three years, being a member of the Second United States Regular Cavalry.

* * * *

This family biography is one of more than 1,000 biographies included in the Biographical Annals of Montgomery County, Pennsylvania published in 1904 by T. S. Benham & Company and The Lewis Publishing Company.  For the complete description, click here: Biographical Annals of Montgomery County, Pennsylvania

View additional Montgomery County, Pennsylvania family biographies here: Montgomery County, Pennsylvania Biographies

Use the links at the top right of this page to search or browse thousands of other family biographies.