My Genealogy Hound

Below is a family biography included in the Biographical Annals of Montgomery County, Pennsylvania published in 1904 by T. S. Benham & Company and The Lewis Publishing Company; Elwood Roberts, Editor.  These biographies are valuable for genealogy research in discovering missing ancestors or filling in the details of a family tree. Family biographies often include far more information than can be found in a census record or obituary.  Details will vary with each biography but will often include the date and place of birth, parent names including mothers' maiden name, name of wife including maiden name, her parents' names, name of children (including spouses if married), former places of residence, occupation details, military service, church and social organization affiliations, and more.  There are often ancestry details included that cannot be found in any other type of genealogical record.

* * * *

EDWARD B. CONARD, one of the leading farmers of Upper Merion township, was born on the farm on which he now resides, October 15, 1843. He was reared on the farm, attending the public school of the neighborhood, and later he was a student two terms in the Bucks County Normal Institute at Carversville, and also for some time in Quaker City Business College, Philadelphia, graduating from the latter institution.

In politics Mr. Conard is an earnest Republican, but has never sought office. He has been a school director many years. He never fails to attend primary meetings of the party or the general or township elections. He has been president of the Ridge Avenue Market Company for nine years, having been a director for many years and one of the prominent workers in its organization.

On August 4, 1862, he joined a company called the Wetheral Blues, organized by Dr. Wetheral for nine months’ service, which became Company I of the One Hundred and Twenty-ninth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers. It was mustered into service at Harrisburg, August 15, 1863, and went at once to Washington, where he spent a few weeks in drilling. When the Army of the Potomac returned to Washington after the Peninsular campaign the company became part of the First Brigade, Third Division, Fifth Corps, commanded by General Humphrey. They were under the first fire at the second battle of Bull Run. In the retreat that followed they fell back to protect the capital (Washington), remaining here one day, time enough to procure seven days’ rations, for the long and tedious march to Antietam, here to head off the enemy again. Their division being held in reserve at Frederick City, did not arrive on the battle field till the 18th of September, 1862. The hard- fought battle on the 17th proved too much for the enemy, who commenced retreating that evening. When the Third Division of the Fifth Corps reached the Potomac, they found the enemy on the opposite bank. They lay near the Potomac, doing picket duty for about one month. Then a reconnaissance was made over into Virginia, and they were under fire at Kearneysville, forcing the enemy back to Winchester. Here they found the enemy in force and they were obliged to fall back and re-cross the Potomac. November found Mr. Conard’s regiment crossing the Potomac at Harper’s Ferry. Passing through Virginia to the Rappahannock, they found the enemy in force at Fredericksburg, where on December 13, 1862, his division was in the terrible charge of Marye’s Heights, his regiment being on the front line and farther up the heights than any other regiment, as shown by the number of their slain. In the five days’ battle of Chancellorsville, beginning May 1, 1863, Mr. Collard was in the thickest of the fight.

At the close of their term of service the company came back to Harrisburg and was mustered out May 18, 1863. Content with what he had seen of war, and with his participation in military movements, Mr. Conard returned to his home and settled down to tilling the soil on the farm where he was born and expected to pass the remainder of his life. He has been a member of Zook Post, No. 11, of Norristown, since 1892.

October 19, 1875, he married Ella V., daughter of David and Hannah M. (Cowgill) Walker, born February 20, 1850. David Walker (father of Ella V. Conard) was born October 8, 1818, in Tredyffrin township, Chester county, where he grew to manhood. He received his primary education in the public school and afterwards attended Joseph Foulke’s Friends’ Boarding School at Gwynedd. On reaching manhood he inherited in the same township in which he was born a farm of fifty acres, increasing it later by purchasing fifty acres near it, on which he lived the remainder of his life. He died May 13, 1889. He was a member of the Society of Friends. In politics he was a Whig and became a Republican on the organization of that party in 1856. He served as supervisor two terms. October 27, 1841, he married Hannah M. Cowgill, who was born in Frederick county, Virginia, November 16, 1816, and died June 3, 1870. Their children:

Eliza C., born August 15, 1842, unmarried and now resides with her sister, Mrs. Conard.
Ella V.
Winfield H.; born April 29, 1852, died 1876, November 24.
Louis, born August 14, 1860, unmarried, and now resides with Mrs. Conard.

The children of Edward E. and Ella V. Conard:
Winfield Walker, born November 11, 1876, married, April 8, 1903, to Mary Kemble Walker, daughter of Jacob B. Walker, deceased, and Hannah S. Walker.
Eliza Cowgill, born December 9, 1879, married, November 2, 1904, to Jacob Reiden Walker, son of Jacob E. Walker, deceased, and Hannah S. Walker.
Juanita, born November 23, 1881, died November 23, 1892.

Winfield W. Conard was reared on his father’s farm and graduated in the public schools of Upper Merion at thirteen years of age and then entered Friends’ Central School at Fifteenth and Race streets, Philadelphia, graduating in 1893. He entered the University of Pennsylvania in the same year and graduated in June, 1897, as Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering. He received the degree of Civil Engineer in 1903. Soon after graduating he accepted a position at the Pencoyd Iron Works and remained with the American Bridge Company as draughtsman, estimator and designer, for over six years. He is now an estimator and designer for the Phoenix Iron Works.

The Conard family was one of the first to settle in this part of the state of Pennsylvania. Thones Kunders located in Germantown, being among those who sailed from Crefeld, Germany, in the ship, Concord, Seventh-month, 24, 1683. He landed at Philadelphia, Tenth-month, 6, 1683. He married Elin Streypers, and died in 1729. Their children:
Cunraed Cunraeds, married first Ann Klinken, second Anne Burson.
Madtis Conders, married Barbara Tyson.
John Cunrads, Horsham, married first Alice Lukens, second, Elizabeth Denis.
Ann, married a Streeper.
Agnes, married Samuel Powell.
Elizabeth, married Griffith Jones.
Henry Cunreds, Whitpain, married Katherine Streeper.

Of these children John Conrads of Horsham had several children. By the first wife, Alice Lukens. By the second wife, Elizabeth Dennis, he had one son, Dennis Conrad, who lived in Lower Merion.

Dennis Conrad had the following children: Isaac, Alice, married a Blaker; John (great-grandfather of Edward B. Conard); Jonathan, and Mary, married a Likens.

John Conard’s children were: Jonathan, Dennis (grandfather), Hannah, Ann, married a Norton, Deborah.

Dennis Conard was born in 1785, and married Mary Huff. Their children: Joseph H. (father), John C., married a Widener; Susan, married William Carver. She was born February 10, 1810.
Mary H., born July 21, 1812; married Charles Waltz.
Ann, born November 17, 1815.
Lydia H., born January 18, 1818.
John H., born September 22, 1820.
Charlotte H., born October 17, 1822.

In 1820 Dennis Conard bought the farm now owned by Edward E. Conard, of John Moore, at sheriff’s sale. John Moore had bought it of Mr. Jenkins, and Mr. Jenkins of Robert Morris.

Joseph H. Conard, son of Dennis, was born in Horsham township, Montgomery county, December 14, 1808, died October 10, 1863. September 29, 1842, he married Eliza A. Bright, daughter of Edward and Martha (Lukens) Bright.

Edward Bright was born August 17, 1789, and died October 31, 1832, and his wife, Martha, was born July 4, 1796, and died March 1, 1831.

Mrs. Joseph Conard was born August 8, 1824, and died January 29, 1897. The children of Joseph and Eliza Conard were:
Edward B.
Melissa, born January 18, 1845, married Daniel F. Moore. They had one child, Madison, who died in childhood.
Melissa died February 26, 1869.
Martha E., born June 24, 1847, died January 8, 1848.
Theodore, born October 18, 1848, died April 14, 1849.
Lydia A., born February 12, 1850, married Henry N. McKinney. Their children: Henry N., died in infancy; Melissa, died in infancy; William A., born December 3, 1876, married September 8, 1903, to Roberta Montgomery of Rochester, Kew York, now a missionary in West China; Helen F., born April 6, 1889.
Susanna, born December 14, 1852, died October 22, 1861.
William C., born May 25, 1856, died December 3, 1875.

Joseph H. Conard came with his parents to the farm now owned by his son, Edward, in 1820, and became the owner of the place by inheritance and purchase about 1861. He was a farmer. He was a Whig, and was a member of the Underground Railroad, helping several slaves to escape. After his death the farm came into the possession of his wife and afterwards of his son Edward.

* * * *

This family biography is one of more than 1,000 biographies included in the Biographical Annals of Montgomery County, Pennsylvania published in 1904 by T. S. Benham & Company and The Lewis Publishing Company.  For the complete description, click here: Biographical Annals of Montgomery County, Pennsylvania

View additional Montgomery County, Pennsylvania family biographies here: Montgomery County, Pennsylvania Biographies

Use the links at the top right of this page to search or browse thousands of other family biographies.