My Genealogy Hound

Below is a family biography from the book, History of Kentucky, Edition 8a by J. H. Battle, W. H. Perrin and G. C. Kniffin and published by F. A. Battey Publishing Company in 1888.  These biographies are valuable for genealogy research in discovering missing ancestors or filling in the details of a family tree. Family biographies often include far more information than can be found in a census record or obituary.  Details will vary with each biography but will often include the date and place of birth, parent names including mothers' maiden name, name of wife including maiden name, her parents' names, name of children (including spouses if married), former places of residence, occupation details, military service, church and social organization affiliations, and more.  There are often ancestry details included that cannot be found in any other type of genealogical record.

* * * *

MASON MAURY was born May 1, 1849, and is a native of Louisville. He is a son of Mathew Henry and Sally (Mason) Maury; the former a native of Virginia, was a farmer, and at one time owner of the well-known “Pumpkins Patch” harbor, near Jeffersonville, and died in 1886; the latter is a niece of Lowell Mason, the Boston composer and publisher, and a daughter of Johnson Mason, who was the inventor of the first rope-making and bagging machine, and was brought out here by Henry Clay. He established a factory at Covington, Ky., and later in the thirties came to Louisville to take charge of the old rope and bagging factory at Twelfth and Chestnuts streets. He would have made a great fortune out of his invention if he had patented it. The subject’s mother has been a teacher in the public schools of Louisville since 1861, and is a remarkably intelligent lady. Mason Maury, the subject of this sketch, graduated in the Male High School of Louisville, and afterward took a course in civil engineering, and after serving in that branch two years, went to Boston to study architecture with a leading firm of architects in that city, after which he returned to Louisville, when he introduced some new features in architecture. Indeed, in the dozen years he has been engaged in the profession, he has to some extent, revolutionized residential architecture. He has received recognition from the highest authorities for resident and office architecture — the Kenyon Building being a monument to his perfection of taste in the latter class. He was married in November, 1885, to Miss Gertrude Vaughan.

* * * *

This family biography is one of 195 biographies included in the Jefferson County, Kentucky section of the book, The History of Kentucky, Edition 8a published in 1888 by F. A. Battey Publishing Company.  For the complete description, click here: History of Kentucky, Edition 8a

View additional Jefferson County, Kentucky family biographies here: Jefferson County, Kentucky Biographies

Use the links at the top right of this page to search or browse thousands of other family biographies.