My Genealogy Hound

Below is a family biography from the book, History of Kentucky, Edition 1 by J. H. Battle, W. H. Perrin and G. C. Kniffin and published by F. A. Battey Publishing Company in 1885.  These biographies are valuable for genealogy research in discovering missing ancestors or filling in the details of a family tree. Family biographies often include far more information than can be found in a census record or obituary.  Details will vary with each biography but will often include the date and place of birth, parent names including mothers' maiden name, name of wife including maiden name, her parents' names, name of children (including spouses if married), former places of residence, occupation details, military service, church and social organization affiliations, and more.  There are often ancestry details included that cannot be found in any other type of genealogical record.

* * * *

DR. H. L. WILEY, Ballard County, was born in Carroll County, Ky., on September 17, 1847, and is a son of John W. and Sarah A. (Brent) Wiley. The father was born in Shelby County, Ky., in 1819, his parents being natives of Virginia. In 1846 he came to Carroll County, where he resided until his death on August 15, 1865. The mother is still living in Arlington, Ballard Co., Ky. Subject is the eldest of four children, of whom three are now living, viz.: Henry L.; Archie F., in Berkeley, Ballard Co., Ky., and Bettie, widow of Martin Mulvoy. Subject’s education was obtained in the schools of his native county, and at the Eminence High School. He read medicine at Campbellsburg, Ky., with Dr. L. R. Martin, for eighteen months and then attended lectures at the Cincinnati University of Medicine in 1866-67. He returned to Carroll County, where he practiced until 1869. He then came to Ballard County, but only remained one year, and subsequently removed to Fancy Farm, Graves County. At that point he practiced four years and then went to Missouri. A year later he returned to Graves County, and this time opened a drug store at Water Valley. After a short time he moved to Arlington, Ballard County, and opened a general store. In 1881, he came to Milburn and opened a dry goods store. Here he has since remained and now carries a stock of about $5,000. Dr. Wiley was married on December 14, 1870, to Miss Molly E. Reddick, a daughter of William F. and Mary J. (Goldston) Reddick. This lady was born in Ballard County and was the mother of two children, Cora Lee and DeLeon. Her death occurred August 9, 1881, and our subject was next married, February 9, 1882, to Miss Fannie Reddick, a sister of his first wife. By this last marriage there are two children, Bonnie and Mabel. Mrs. Wiley is a member of the Baptist Church.

* * * *

This family biography is one of 186 biographies included in the Ballard County, Kentucky section of the book, The History of Kentucky, Edition 1 published in 1885 by F. A. Battey Publishing Company.  For the complete description, click here: History of Kentucky, Edition 1

View additional Ballard County, Kentucky family biographies here: Ballard County, Kentucky Biographies

Use the links at the top right of this page to search or browse thousands of other family biographies.