My Genealogy Hound

Below is a family biography included in The Portrait and Biographical Record of Randolph, Jackson, Perry and Monroe Counties, Illinois published by Biographical Publishing Co. in 1894.  These biographies are valuable for genealogy research in discovering missing ancestors or filling in the details of a family tree. Family biographies often include far more information than can be found in a census record or obituary.  Details will vary with each biography but will often include the date and place of birth, parent names including mothers' maiden name, name of wife including maiden name, her parents' names, name of children (including spouses if married), former places of residence, occupation details, military service, church and social organization affiliations, and more.  There are often ancestry details included that cannot be found in any other type of genealogical record.

* * * *

DAVID STAINROOK BOOTH, M. D., was for many years one of the most prominent physicians of Randolph County, and at his death his profession was deprived of one of its noblest representatives, and the citizenship of the community suffered a sad loss. Dr. Booth was born in Philadelphia, Pa., June 30, 1828, and departed this life at Belleville, Ill., September 10, 1892, aged sixty-four years.

Dr. John J. Booth, the father of our subject, was born and educated in the Quaker City, and there practiced medicine until 1845, when he removed to Fredericktown, Mo. Our subject, who was at that time attending the high school in Philadelphia, remained in that city, and after completing his studies, was, by the instruction of his father, bound as an apprentice to learn the drug business. During the last year of his apprenticeship he attended a course of lectures at the Jefferson Medical College, and in the spring of 1849 joined his parents in Fredericktown, Mo. There he commenced the systematic study of medicine under the tutelage of his father, and attended the St. Louis Medical College during the session of 1849-50. The following two years he taught school, employing the leisure moments in reading medicine. In 1852 he removed to southwestern Missouri, and in Jasper County taught school and at the same time practiced medicine.

Dr. Booth later removed to Newton County, that state, and on a petition of the citizens of McDonald County, they guaranteeing a certain amount of practice, he went to Enterprise, in the above county, and there remained until the outbreak of the war. During the winter of 1859-60 he attended the St. Louis Medical College, from which institution he was graduated. As the people in Enterprise, which was his home at that time, were strongly in sympathy with the south, the Doctor, who was a stanch Union man, was made very uncomfortable, and after the election of Lincoln, in 1860, he desired to change his location, but having accumulated considerable property, he did not like to lose it, so he remained there until the Confederate forces occupied the country. Having gained a wide reputation as a fine surgeon, he received intimation that his services were needed and was requested to accompany the rebels, which he found best to do quietly, and assisted in attending to the wounded during the battle of Wilson’s Creek. After that conflict he returned home and at once made preparation for leaving, which he did on horseback after night, and by knowing the lay of the land, he was able to keep clear of the Confederate army.

After reaching St. Louis, Mo., Dr. Booth received such a cold reception from his old acquaintances that he went on to Philadelphia and occupied his time in attending lectures at the University of Pennsylvania. He passed the examination, and was mustered into the service of the Union army as Active Assistant Surgeon of the Mississippi Marine Brigade. It was his intention to work his way back to Missouri and rescue his family, whom he had been compelled to leave behind. While in that branch of the service he was stationed on board the “Monarch,” later on the “Switzerland,” and for some time had charge of the small-pox hospital. At the time the “Queen of the West” was ordered to run by Vicksburg Dr. Booth was assigned to duty as the medical officer on that vessel, which passed Vicksburg on the morning of February 2, 1863. He was later captured on the Red River, on the evening of the 14th of that month, his boat having run aground on a sand bar opposite Ft. Taylor, and before she could be released, was disabled by the guns of the enemy. All the officers and most of the crew on board escaped on cotton bales and in the small boats to a place not far distant. Soon after his capture there was an exchange of prisoners, and the Doctor and the men who were with him were sent to New Orleans, thence to New York, and from there to the Philadelphia Navy Yard. While in the latter place, he employed his time in visiting the hospitals, and in August he was ordered to report at the New York Navy Yard, where he was given charge of a train load of exchange prisoners bound for St. Louis.

In the meantime Dr. Booth had not been able to gain any definite news from his family, who were within the Confederate lines. Anxiety on their account caused him to resign his position as Surgeon, which was accepted the following October. While waiting in St. Louis, endeavoring to get an escort from the nearest point of Union forces to where his family was located, a vacancy occurred in the hospital at Springfield, Mo., and he was offered the position by the medical director of the department. He accepted, as it took him within a short distance of his family, and very soon after entering on his duties at Springfield he secured an escort and was enabled to bring his family into the Union lines, after having been separated from them for more than two years. He held the above position until July, 1864, when he resigned, and locating in Sparta, this county, remained in active practice here until September 1, 1889. He then removed to Belleville, where his decease occurred.

January 27, 1850, Dr. David S. Booth married Miss Cynthia Grounds, and to them were born the following six children: Mary (deceased), Sarah, David, Frances, Josephine, and John J., who is now deceased. Mary was the wife of James E. Jordan, and at her decease left a son, Edward, who was reared by our subject; Sarah married Dr. Jerome Thompson, of Morrisonville, this state; David is the assistant of Dr. C. H. Hughes, who holds the chair of nervous diseases in the Barnes Medical College of St. Louis. He is a graduate of the St. Louis Medical College, and married a Miss West. Frances, the wife of William Burnett, makes her home in Ottumwa, Iowa. Josephine is the wife of James Sproul, Jr., and is residing in Sparta.

In his political relations Dr. Booth was a strong Republican, and socially was a prominent Mason and Knight Templar. In religious affairs he was an active member of the Presbyterian Church. He was a man of exemplary habits, and was so thoroughly devoted to his chosen calling that few knew him outside of his professional life. He was enthusiastic in everything that would add to his knowledge as a physician and promote the science of medicine. He was prominently identified with the Southern Illinois Medical Association, of which he had been President; also the Illinois State Medical Society, in which he occupied the same position. He was also a member of the American, the Mississippi Valley and the St. Clair County Associations.

* * * *

This family biography is one of 679 biographies included in The Portrait and Biographical Record of Randolph, Jackson, Perry and Monroe Counties, Illinois published in 1894.  View the complete description here: The Portrait and Biographical Record of Randolph, Jackson, Perry and Monroe Counties, Illinois

View additional Randolph County, Illinois family biographies here: Randolph County, Illinois Biographies

Use the links at the top right of this page to search or browse thousands of other family biographies.